When you’ve been involved in a car accident in Fayetteville, Arkansas, it can be difficult to know what steps to take in order to protect your well-being and any future personal injury claim. Below are some do’s and don’ts to follow after a collision, provided to you by the legal experts at Niblock Law Firm.
5 Things You Should Do After a Collision:
- Check to see if anyone is injured. If anyone has serious injuries, call emergency responders immediately. Even if you think everyone is okay, it’s still a good idea to call the police and have a report filed. This can be helpful in the event that someone later discovers an injury that was not immediately apparent.
- Move your vehicle to safety. This can prevent further accidents from occurring and make it easier for emergency responders to access the scene. If your car is not drivable, turn on your hazard lights to alert other drivers.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Make sure to get their name, contact information, and insurance information. This can help determine fault and strengthen an injury claim.
- Collect important evidence. Evidence such as photographs of the scene and damage to the vehicles, witness statements, and traffic camera footage can all be used to reconstruct the events leading up to the accident.
- Speak with a trusted and knowledgeable car accident lawyer. At The Niblock Law Firm, our attorneys have the experience and knowledge to help you receive the compensation you rightfully deserve. Don’t hesitate to contact us for legal guidance.
3 Things You Should Not Do After a Collision:
- Leave the scene. If you leave the scene of an accident, you could face criminal charges. It’s crucial that you stay at the scene and wait for the police to arrive.
- Admit fault. Even if you think you may have been at fault, let the police officer determine who was responsible. Admitting fault can have serious consequences in the event that you decide to file an injury claim.
- Fail to inform your insurance company. Even if the accident wasn’t your fault, your insurance company will need to know what happened in order to process any claims. Be sure to keep good records of all communication with your insurance company.
By following these do’s and don’ts after a Fayetteville, AR car accident, you can take the necessary steps to protect yourself and your rights. If you’ve been involved in a collision, don’t hesitate to contact The Niblock Law Firm for experienced legal guidance.